Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Three New Boys

Meet Jonas, Aidin and Jonathan. They are staying with us for two weeks, as part of a Danish team that came to put on presentations at the schools in Soshanguve. The team is made up of 14 Danish kids (and 2 adults) between the ages of 16 and 18.

I am partial to "my" boys. They are polite, engage in interesting conversation, wash my dishes and make their beds every morning. Can I keep them, please??

I have always wished - from the time I was a child - to have a home where people feel welcome, a home that is available for people to use, if needed, and a home where people can come at any time and know that there is a cup of coffee, a meal, a warm bed, and lots of love waiting for them.

I must confess that hospitality is not my strong point, but God in His providence had me live with my in-laws, who are fabulous in the areas where I am weak, for eighteen months (Thanks, Mum and Dad, for teaching me, and for your incredible patience!).

My house does not look like a museum. My furniture doesn't match. There is often a "Hansel and Gretel" trail running through the house (either of chip crumbs or sticky juice spills). But if people feel cared for, if they know that they are valued, that there is someone here to listen to them and encourage them, then who cares if it's clean?

May our house not be merely a house, but truly a home - for my Danish boys, and for everyone with whom we cross paths on this journey called Life. May it be a place where people find love, hope and healing, and where they find these things in God.

The Danish have a word, "hoogli", which is not translatable but describes a feeling or setting that is "cosy, warm, beautiful and a delight to your soul." It's time for a little "hoogli" in the Erickson home... South African-style!

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

Sweet sister,

I've no doubt that your home is very 'hoogli'...very 'gemutlich'...because the Spirit of the Lord and of Love makes Hansel and Gretel trails irrelevant. :)

Love you,
Rosie