Friday, December 26, 2008

I've Been Here 15 Months... What Happened?

I was taking a walk today, thinking, when I realised something:
  1. I don't miss Starbucks anymore.
  2. I'm not sure I'd know how to use a dishwasher if I saw one.
  3. Clothes dryer? What's that? Oh... you mean the sun!
  4. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are great, but I can wait.
All of the things I missed when we first moved here - the things that I begged for people to send in the post - I've learned that I can easily live without (except Mexican food. I'm sorry, but I still miss it!).

The longing for family, friends, people and places familiar - the desire to be where traditions I grew up with and hold dear are practised - that is ever present. I wonder if that will ever go away?

Still, at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade our experiences for anything. All of the loneliness, confusion and discomfort that comes with living cross-culturally is nothing compared to the wealth of relationships and learning. God is growing our hearts, expanding them to know and love new cultures, and that is priceless.

Merry Christmas to all of you, a day late, and Happy Day of Good Will.

No comments: