Saturday, December 20, 2008

On Having Faults and Remembering Scripture

Ever have one of those moments where you become acutely aware of your faults? I had one of those moments last night. I think satan uses those late-night-I'm-tired moments to attack us, but even so, I really DO have faults that I became acutely aware of last night. I wished desperately that I were near-perfect (because nobody's perfect, right?). I even got to the point where I felt so bad that I was irritated with myself for feeling irritated! But then I was reminded of some Scripture (which is why memorising Bible verses is good - you can't remember something you never learned in the first place!), which had for me the soothing effect of putting aloe on a sunburn:

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgression. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me... Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow... Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me... You do not delight in sacrifice or I would bring it; You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise." - Psalm 51: 1-3, 7, 10-12, 16-17

To feel so unlovable and then remember once again that the God of the universe loves me - ME - and forgives me... what an amazing comfort I can hold onto no matter where I am in the world. The love of God transcends all reason, all culture, and any contrivance of man.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there

I am always touched by someone who is doing the work of God. Giving it all up to help and give selflessly.

I am a Pretorian. Was happy to bump into your blog. You are not at home (US) now, are you? Have a great Christmas and may His blessings be upon you and your family.

God Bless,
Mbini

Anna said...

No, we're in Pretoria this Christmas!

Thanks for your comment, and I hope you have a blessed Christmas as well!