Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On Bare Feet and Death-Defying Millipedes

I went to the garage yesterday to fetch something, and while I was looking around I felt something tickling my bare feet. I looked down to find this millipede (aka shongololo) crawling on my toes. I screamed, which probably proves that I am still more of a California girl that a South African girl.

There is a story with this millipede, though. It has been living in our garage for a few weeks now, and I'm telling you it's suicidal. It always manages to crawl under the garage door just as we're closing it, or crawl into the car's way just as we're driving into the garage. We have always managed to spare it's life (thanks to my children, who have become quite the advocates for creatures possessing more legs than me) thus far...

Until last night. The millipede with the death wish crawled in the way of the car one too many times, and as it was dark, Dan accidentally ran over it. The children were heartbroken, but as for me... while I do not rejoice in it's death, my toes are rather relieved!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a student of Geography at the University of Warsaw in Poland. I'm working on my M.A. thesis about people in South Africa. And I would like to know what do you think and what are your feelings about life in SA :) Would you help me? Please :)
Below is link to my survey if you want helping me, thank you!
The survey will take no more than 10 minutes of your time.

http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=1118725

Anna said...

Yes, I would be happy to, though I haven't lived in South Africa long.