Monday, March 8, 2010

Bathroom Advertising

When I was a kid there was always bathroom graffiti on the walls at the public school I attended, and it was rather entertaining. South Africa, on the other hand, boasts the cleanest bathrooms you will ever find worldwide.

You will, however, find advertisements in public bathrooms here in South Africa. They're in every stall, they're next to the hand dryers, they're even IN the sinks, and every single one of them advertises products for embarrassing issues ranging from Irritable Bowel Syndrome to period pain to constipation to diarrhea.

I have been frightened by talking ads in my stall (and it was a man's voice, no less!). I have laughed hysterically at the stickers in the sink in the shape of a giant, ahem, feminine product advertising superior absorbancy, and I have been entertained by the constipation medication ad inside the stall that said, "By the time I get out of here, my clothes will be out of fashion."

But WHY??? Are public bathrooms the only place women can address these issues?

I have learned that "Why?" is not a good question to ask when moving to a new country. Rather just enjoy the adventure. And if you ever come to South Africa, you will not only be impressed by the incredibly clean bathrooms, but highly entertained as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Erickson said...

Don't know why the gents' bathroom is just the same old thing. Seems like we'd get "Tired of heartburn?" or something.

ROSIE said...

At least it's better than the slot machines I saw *inside* stalls in Vegas and Reno. Talk about a gambling addiction....what about those poor folks waiting outside who need the loo?

Anonymous said...

I must agree with you about our bathrooms. I do miss our beautiful, CLEAN, staff bathrooms in our schools in SA. Here in the UK, they are dirty-looking bathrooms and you really don't want to go in there, but you have to. I miss the "feminine touch" to the bathrooms here. And staff teachers) not flushing a toilet! (eeehw...yuk!)