Saturday, October 9, 2010

I Think They Need a Fast Lane

If you go to any of the shops, you will notice that some people walk as though they're task-oriented and know exactly where they're going (I would fall into that category), and others shuffle along as though they have all the time in the world (that would not be me). This difference in walking pace seems to fall along the line between Western and non-Western cultures.

I am learning to be flexible. In the three years that I've been in South Africa I've made great strides at putting people ahead of tasks. If someone comes to my door, I will invite them in and make tea or coffee for them, even if I was on my way out the door. But when I'm at the shops....

I just want to get in, get what I need, and get out. My husband tells me I shop like a man, which is fine with me except when I'm at the shops on a Saturday and I am stuck behind dozens of "meandering" shoppers. That still drives me insane, and I cannot adjust to the shuffling pace no matter how hard I try. I always come home feeling like this:

Maybe I should do my shopping on a Monday morning.

3 comments:

Heather, Rick, and Tendai! said...

oh you SOO would not have wanted to be behind me in the grocery store today... i usually enjoy grocery shopping and even i was going nuts by the end of trying to find everything i need to get a kitchen outfited!

Nikita said...

I'm the same as you. I hate it too when I can't just go in and out. We like to go shopping at 8pm or even later! Tesco near us is open 24 hours and it's such a pleasure to shop that time with about nobody around you.

Anonymous said...

Winco makes me feel like that picture!
They are expanding ours so I no longer have the opinion that they need traffic lights on a timer or yellow dashes down the middle of the aisle. It was getting to be a 10 minute wait to go 20 feet( yea... I know you've gone metric now,so try to remember....) from the olives to the salad dressing!

Just when I developed into my personal shopping "groove", I took my parents shopping on one of their visits and they just did not DO it right!

Spiritual Application here: God uses people and obnoxious (I mean busy,crowded) spaces to show us what we are really made of and how much we need Him! I like your application better... as usual!!

However, now I need to figure out where they have put everything!