Monday, October 18, 2010

Mondays With Auntie Hope

Today Auntie Hope told the story about her mom sending her off to boarding school. I hear this story nearly every week that I visit her, and while she never outright complains about being sent away to boarding school, it obviously affected her and stands out as a pivotal event in her life.

We all have those events - dramatic, traumatic, whatever you want to call them - that affected us deeply. Many of us have had things thrust upon us that we had no choice or control over or suffered horrible experiences. The thing is, what do we DO about them? Some people push through and manage to come out fine, while others are "stuck." They can't seem to move on, and always come back to that one event that changed their lives forever.

I've been thinking about this today, and while I can't answer for you (I won't even make a suggestion), here's my plan of action: I can't change my past, but I can choose to let it go and trust that God will turn the bad things into something good. Easier said than done, I know. It may even sound trite to you, but I just don't see a better option. If I ever reach a point in my life where I tell the same story over and over... I want it be a story of God's grace.

No comments: