Monday, October 18, 2010

Sheep Head 101

Sheep head, aka skapkop or "smiley", can be eaten with the fingers. You can eat the tongue, brain and eye, but the best part, according to most, is the cheek. The head is cut in two, so you can buy a whole head, or two halves.

Most of my friends think it's disgusting; I happen to think it tastes great, and if you're ever in a rural part of South Africa, you'd better learn to like it.

(The eye happens to be missing from this one, because - I confess - I ate it.)

5 comments:

C.G. Koens said...

Yeah, I tried it in Lesotho - it wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't become a favorite. Our Basotho friends LOVED it when the sheeps head woman would come around with her sheeps head in a plastic bucket - snack time! ;-)

jonna said...

I have learned to never say never, but this will not be on my list of things to try once we move...

Anonymous said...

Where would one actually buy a sheep's head?

Is it a delicacy or are they next to stew meat in the butcher's block?

Unknown said...

Don't know how you managed it. Ek het altyd weggehardloop wanneer die ou mense die skaapkop uitbring!

Anna said...

Jy moet vir jouself vertel "Dit smaak soos hoender."

Die ou mense.... weet jy Laurika Rauch se liedjie "Stuur Groete aan Mannetjies Roux?"