Monday, October 4, 2010

Mondays with Auntie Hope

Today while I was practicing my Afrikaans with Auntie Hope, her cat jumped up on my lap, knocking my lesson book out of the way (this is in and of itself no small thing as her cat is rather large, to put it mildly). So I just started talking to the cat in Afrikaans. The funny thing is, Auntie Hope made the cat "answer" me... in Afrikaans, of course. She was the voice of the cat, and I was talking to it as though it were a person. Finally Auntie Hope made the cat say, "Julle is almal gek," which is a strong way of saying "You're all mad!" I replied, "Ja, maar dis pret om gek te wees." Yes, but it's fun to be crazy. Then we looked at each other and laughed.

I was so excited to see Auntie Hope this morning; I was anticipating another great life lesson, but there was none. I was a little disappointed until I realised that sometimes silliness and laughter is also good. Sometimes it's exactly what we need to get through the rest of the day.

No comments: