Saturday, February 4, 2012

Another Strange and Beautiful Story

A woman came to my door yesterday.  She was a stranger, and she was holding a beautifully-wrapped gift in her hand.

"This is for you," she said.

I was puzzled.  "But... why?"

"It's from Josi," she replied.  "For your birthday."

My birthday was four months ago, and Josi - who used to be my next-door neighbour - moved away several years ago.

I invited the woman in, offered her something to drink, and in the course of our conversation discovered that she had formerly been a colleague of Josi's.  Through a strange string of events, she was in the town where Josi now lives (a two-hour's drive from Pretoria).  Josi knew she would be passing through Pretoria and asked her to give the gift to me.

I am amazed and humbled at how God seems to be lavishing His love on me this week.  I know my issue is not measuring up, but I really don't deserve this.  And the truth is, none of us do... and all of us do.  God chooses to lavish His love on us.  He declares us worthy of that love.  This is just beginning to dawn on me, and I feel a smile beginning to creep across my face...

No comments: