Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Joyful Noise

I know I blog too much about Sundays in South Africa - you're probably thinking "Not again!" - but it really is a memorable event in my life every week! For one thing, no one else has the guts to sing children's songs in "grown-up church". There's a song by Hillsong called "One Way Jesus". It's a great song, so this week WE sang it in church. And it rocked! My favorite line is, "You are the Way, the Truth and the Life; we live by faith and not by sight for You... living all for You." Imagine the sound of a few thousand adults, worshiping wholeheartedly - unabashedly - singing a "children's" song. That wouldn't happen in the States... at least I don't think so.

This Sunday the sermon text was John 8:36 "Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." At the end of the sermon, the congregation had a chance to pray, following the pastor's lead, to renounce any strongholds in their life and claim the freedom that comes through forgiveness in Jesus. There are a lot of strongholds here in Africa that stem from ancestor worship and witchcraft. I think there are strongholds in the U.S. as well, just different ones.

I don't know how to explain the feeling in the auditorium this morning, but I felt the presence of the Lord, as people earnestly sought Him. When the pastor was done praying, there was an amazing sense of joy that filled the room. The worship band came up and sang a song based on John 8:36 "Through You the blind will see, through You the mute will sing, through You the dead will rise, through You our hearts will praise, through You the darkness flees, through You my heart screams, I am free!" I have never experienced more sincere, more joyous worship than I did this morning. It was culturally very different from what I am used to, but I had a blast worshiping with my South African brothers and sisters in Christ. I don't know why, but it made me cry. The pure joy of being released from a life of bondage and receiving the love and forgiveness of Jesus is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and I was blessed to witness it once again this morning.

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

Blog too much? About Sundays in South Africa? Isn't this only the second post on that topic?

We should all feel as free to worship our risen Lord with such joyous abandon. He made us to be emotional creatures. Most of us pour out our sorrows and fears to Him; so few of us dance with joy in His tabernacle...