Monday, March 17, 2008

The Sausage King of Chicago


Anyone remember the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, where Ferris pretends to be Abe Froman, the "sausage king of Chicago", in order to get into the snooty French restaurant? Well, Abe Froman has nothing on Christo, the Afrikaner king of boerewors!

Boerewors is sausage, South African style. Coiled up in one long... intestine... it's braaid and then cut up into smaller pieces (unless you want to unroll the thing onto a baguette and make the world's longest hot dog!). Christo is a guy we work with. He has the world's biggest heart and is the best co-worker on the planet. He'll do anything for you, even bring you a kilo of homemade boerewors.

We braaid this last night and I actually made pap that was edible, with that tomato/onion gravy stuff. So either we're slowly turning into South Africans, or we've discovered the joys of Afrikaner comfort food. Thanks, Christo (even Abe Froman couldn't have topped this)!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
My husband introduced me to your blog, and I enjoy reading your comments on life in SA. I am an Afrikaans freelance journalist who is also passionate about my faith.
I live on a smallholding near Hartbeespoort Dam. My two main other interests are preventative health and nature (ecology).
I LOVE reading the Bible, especially the Amplified version by Zondervan. I have a particular interest in the Old Testament. Together with my husband, we publish a local magazine in the area, called Maroela, named after a wonderful indigenous tree (the marula).
Kind regards
Johanita Louw

Anna said...

Hello, Johanita! Welcome to my blog! Hartbeespoort Dam is not far from Pretoria. Is your magazine available in Pretoria? Where would I find it? I love maroela juice.

If you would be interested, maybe we could meet for lunch sometime? Regards (Mag die Here u ryklik seën!), Annie

Unknown said...

Hi Annie

My direct e-mail address is johanital at telkomsa dot net (johanital@telkomsa.net). Please send me a note so I can have your direct e-mail address. Would love to have lunch with you.
The magazine is only available in the Hartbeespoort/Brits area. When we meet I will bring you some copies.

Regards.

Johanita

kel said...

how appropriate to be doing something a little strange with sausage while we're all back home celebrating st. patrick's day - another occasion for "strange" sausage.
happy st patty's day in south africa!

Nikita said...

oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!! How I miss this now!!! DELICIOUS! isn't the word!!