Friday, March 14, 2008

Love is Blind

My accent gives me away. People greet me in Afrikaans, and when I attempt to respond, they usually say, "You don't speak Afrikaans? Where are you from?" When I tell them, they invariably say, "Shame. Why did you come here? You know this country is terrible; it used to be so nice. I'm trying to leave myself, maybe to Australia or Canada." They then go on to give me crime statistics, or tell me of a personal experience. And in some ways they're right: if you haven't been carjacked or robbed yourself, then you know someone who has. But here's the bizarre part:

When they tell me all that's wrong with South Africa, it only makes me love this country more. I don't know why, but I really, really love South Africa. I love the land and I love the people. Warts and all. The Russian author, Dostoevsky, said this, "To love a person means to see him as God intends him to be." I wonder if that applies to nations as well? But Dostoevsky isn't God, so here's what the Bible says:

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture... Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." - Psalm 37:1-3, 5-6

So here's my commentary for today: Whether Obama wins or Hillary wins... whether Jacob Zuma is convicted on corruption charges or whether he becomes President.... Dwell in the land, do good, commit your way to the Lord, and SHINE.

No comments: