Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"One Thing I Do Know..."

In 2 Corinthians 6:3-10, Paul tells the Corinthians to.... well maybe you should read it for yourselves, because it's hard to summarize Paul:

"We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as imposters; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything."

To commend is to recommend. Paul is essentially saying to follow his example in the above situations. He's covered just about every scenario except birthday parties and root canals! I don't know that I can say, "In kindness, follow my example. In sincere love, follow my example. In hardships and distresses, follow my example." I am forced to stop and think about my behaviour in certain situations.

I am not a philosopher like Paul. I don't always burn with passion for the Lord like Paul. I do not seem to be so single-minded and unwavering as Paul. I am not a "great apostle" like Paul. But I can tell you this, echoing the words of the blind man in John 9:25: "One thing I do know. I was blind, but now I see." And for today, that is enough.

1 comment:

Dan Erickson said...

Brilliant Angela, as always. You have a way of pulling the core out of a passage and serving it to me spiced in a way I had never imagined.