Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Aroma of Christ

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." - 2 Corinthians 2:14-15

Today we delivered food parcels for orphans to four primary schools out in Soshanguve. At one primary school there are just over 1,000 students. At the close of last year there were 101 orphans at that school. Now there are 121 - twenty more children were orphaned in just four months. More than 10% of the school's learners are orphans, and the story is much the same at the other schools.

It is heartbreaking at times - not to mention overwhelming - to have the problem always growing instead of abating. But I am reminded that I don't have to solve the world's problems; I just have to do what God calls me to do each day. Maybe today I can make a difference for THIS child. Maybe tomorrow another child. I can't reach everyone but I can surely reach some.

Do you ever feel like satan uses our fears and feelings of being overwhelmed to keep us in a state of inaction? "The problem is too big - what difference could I make?" "I don't even know where to start." "It wouldn't matter anyway." The list of reasons, explanations (excuses?) goes on... But maybe, just maybe, God needs you to touch one person's life today. And one person tomorrow. And one more the day after that.

No comments: