Friday, April 17, 2009

Lobola

Lobola - bride price - is still a common practice here in South Africa. As best as I understand it, the man pays the woman's family for the right to marry her. He can pay in cattle, cash, or in other goods determined through negotiations where members from both families attend.

I once asked my neighbour if she was offended by the whole practice - knowing how much (or how little) she was "worth", and she said, "Nah... it's just something you have to go through in order to get married."

I, however, was offended by the whole practice (how could you put a price on a person?), then I felt curious, and then I began to wonder how much *I* would be worth (Dan said he'd give 50 cows for me!). I eventually let the subject go, thankful that my own culture doesn't practice lobola.

Until this morning. The concept of lobola popped into my head once again, only in the context of spiritual things. If people make up the church and the church is called the Bride of Christ, then Christ's death on the cross could be considered the ultimate lobola. He gave his life for his bride. It was as if God was saying to me, "Forget the cows, forget the cash. Forget whatever it is people use to determine worth. I paid with my LIFE for you; that's how special you are to me."

I went through my whole day feeling incredibly loved and valued.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Wonderful picture! As a side note on value, at least the bride has a price . . . the grooms are free.