Monday, April 20, 2009

A New Name

In ancient times, renaming people was a common practice. The intention was to change the person's identity until his/her life matched the new name/title. The new name sometimes signified a change of ownership, or was reflective of a new destiny.

God gave people new names, too:
  1. Abram ("Exalted Father") was changed to Abraham ("Father of Many")
  2. Sarai ("Contentious") was changed to Sarah ("Princess")
  3. Saul ("Asked For" or "Borrowed") was changed to Paul ("Small", "Humble")
  4. Simon ("He has Heard") was changed to Peter ("Rock")
So I wonder... if God was going to give me a new name indicative of what He wanted me to become, what would it be? I have to laugh and think that it's something I'm currently *not*! Joyful, for instance. That's something I struggle with. Or "Strong and Bold."

How about, "Always does the right thing, maintains integrity no matter the cost, diligently pursues righteousness and victory while keeping a spirit of thankfulness and a God-Centred world view all the while letting insults and the fiery arrows of the enemy bounce of her back while she leaps to new heights"? If there is a name that means that, I want it!