Thursday, April 2, 2009

In God We Trust?

"Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel, or seek help from the LORD." - Isaiah 31:1

For the past two days our power has gone out. Today we have no running water. I used to get so irritated when this kind of thing happened; there isn't a good reason for its occurrence in the suburbs of Pretoria. Now, however, it's just part of life.

In a way, it's a good thing. It reminds me that there really isn't anything you can depend on in this life - not circumstances, not finances, not even people. I don't mean to sound negative but it's true. The only thing - ONLY thing - you can really count on is Jesus. And yet I find too often that I put my trust in my situation or the ability to control my day and its outcome.

There isn't much you can do without power or running water except be with people, and isn't that what it's all about? Love God, love people.

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." - Psalm 20:7

No comments: