Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Honouring the Right God


"You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honour the God who holds in His hand your life and all your ways." - Daniel 5:23

The God who holds your life in His hands... and all your ways. Which brings me to a question: what are your ways? What are MY ways? Too easily are we enticed by the things of this world - entertainment, looks, wealth - though those things in themselves aren't bad. It is when they take a higher place than God that it becomes a problem, these gods of silver, gold, make-up, movies, cars, food, sex, and instant gratifications.

I want to honour God with my life, whether I'm a chip fryer at Wimpy or the president of a nation (yeah, I know....). I want it to be said of me, like it was said of Daniel, "May your God, whom you serve continually..." - Daniel 6:16 Not part of the time, not just when things are going well, not when I feel like it or have enough energy, but continually.

Your God, whom you serve continually. Not the god of silver, gold, wood, iron or bronze, but the God who holds my life and all my ways in His hands. That One.

No comments: