Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Things That Live in Our House Besides Us:

Currently there are:
  1. About 7 extra guys in the other room eating snacks, playing games, watching movies, and having interesting philosophical conversations (it's guy night at the Erickson house)
  2. Ants - both the crawling kind and flying kind (aka termites)
  3. Shongololos - big black millipedes that love our garage (but why?)
  4. Christmas beetles. About this time every year they come out in droves to the point where you don't want to take a walk in the evening or open your windows because they're literally everywhere. Right now there's one in my bedroom that is buzzing around like a chainsaw.
  5. Mosquitos. It's also that time of year.
  6. Neighbourhood children. Sometimes I find extra children in my house. Especially the ones that love my cooking.
  7. The occasional gecko.
While I'm not keen on the bugs, I hope our house will always be one in which people feel welcomed. I haven't been so great at hospitality lately as I'd like, but I'm working on it. And maybe one of these days someone will feel comfortable enough to raid my fridge before kicking off their shoes and curling up with a good novel on the couch. That would be the ultimate compliment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have "dropped by" every night around dinner time next week if you guys lived in Cape Town :)

Anna said...

Are you going to Cape Town next week? Ag man... Pretoria is just a short flight away... can't you fly out of OR Tambo? (hint hint!)

Unknown said...

Yes I'm there next week for work. As much as I'd love to come visit the lovely trees in Pretoria, this time the trip is too short!

Next year when we move we'll need to find a way for our families to catch up. Maybe meet in the middle somewhere. Bloemfontein? :)

Anna said...

Oh please - anywhere but Bloem (and don't even say Upington!)