Saturday, November 14, 2009

Today's Take on South Africa

Some have said that South Africa is a strange mix of First World and Third World - or Western and Non-Western, to be more politically correct. I would have to agree on many levels, but that's also what makes South Africa such a vibrant place to live.

So many inventions are South African - the CAT scan, producing oil from coal, the first heart transplant... even the swimming pool vacuum cleaner all had their origins in South Africa. But just the other day I met a woman who didn't know how to use a microwave oven. To me that is mind-boggling. (In retrospect, she could probably teach me more about life than I could ever teach her)

I am the queen of bad analogies, so let me retain my title and come up with another one: South Africa is like a lava lamp. Beautiful, mesmerising, you could watch it for hours, but unpredictable, always changing (albeit slowly), indefinable... dare I say impalpable?

Every time you put a label on South Africa or stick it in a box, it rises up to prove the world wrong. I love that. The people are so innovative, so creative, so resourceful, so inspiring.

The next time you read a bad report about South Africa on crime, violence or inefficient infrastructure, remember this- it was probably written by someone who doesn't like lava lamps.

3 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

I absolutely loved this post! I'd say the "bad analogies" title should probably be replaced with the "apropos analogies" title. A great way to describe the wonderful and complex place that is South Africa. Any chance I could have your permission to link to this post from our blog?

Anna said...

Sure; I'd be honoured!

Still praying for you to get that support up so you can come. "Run with perseverance the race marked out for [you]" - Heb. 12:1

Can't wait to meet you someday.

Anonymous said...

"The people are so innovative, so creative, so resourceful, so inspiring."
That is so true. If you live in SA for the next 20 years...you will stop puttin SA in boxes and start putting the US and other countries in boxes and you will be "innovative, creative, resourceful, inspiring" :)
(ask me, I'm in London and I'm here for almost 10 years and I can start putting Britons in various boxes :))