Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thoughts on Worship

I know I blog about church a lot, but I can't help it; church is just funny sometimes. Today there was this guy sitting behind me who sang with - how shall I say it - GUSTO (and badly at that). It's really hard to sing on key when the guy behind you isn't. I used to get distracted by this, but (well actually I still do) it doesn't bother me anymore. It rather makes me smile.

One of the most important lessons I learned about worship was from a guy who couldn't hear. I used to sing on the worship team at my old church. And this guy clapped off-beat, made loud noises, danced and was just... different. If you were sitting behind him - if you didn't know he was deaf - I suppose it would be terribly distracting. But I had the advantage of being on stage and seeing his face, which was beautiful because it was absolutely full of joy.

This guy could feel the rhythm of the music through his feet and when he worshiped it was so pure, so holy. He didn't care what anyone else thought. He was just expressing his love to God. And here I was, on stage, worrying about getting the notes right and the harmonies just so, coordinating outfits and generally obsessing about things that don't matter when it comes to worship.

"Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.' " - John 20:29

Turns out that as long as you can feel the rhythm in your feet, it doesn't matter if you can't hear the music. Worship is more about making a fool of yourself as only lovers do than getting the notes right.

1 comment:

Nan said...

Beautiful post. Truly beautiful!