Monday, November 30, 2009

If Only Every Day Were Like This

I am completely used to driving on the left side of the road except when it comes to drive-throughs, of which there are thankfully few. It just baffles my mind that the drive through goes clockwise around the building instead of counter-clockwise (yes, I know it's completely obvious and logical, but I still can't figure out which way to enter the drive-through).

Today I was early for work because the morning commute was miraculously fast-flowing, so Dan and I stopped at a McDonald's drive-through for some coffee. When we drove up to the speaker a man's voice said, "Hello?" Dan ordered the coffee, but the voice again said, "Hello?" So Dan ordered again. "Hello?" Ordered. "Hello?" At this point he was yelling so loudly into the speaker that I started laughing and quoting old Dr. Demento lyrics "I'd like a cheeseburger, some onion rings, and a LARGE ORANGE DRINK!").

Dan gave me a dirty look, gave up and just drove up to the window where you pay. Only no one was there. So Dan says, "Hello?", and that's when I started laughing hysterically. Finally a guy came to that window and asked Dan what he wanted. Dan ordered coffee. The man just looked at him and said, "Sorry?" So Dan ordered coffee again. And again, the man said, "Sorry?" Dan said, "COFFEE!"

At this point my stomach hurt from laughing. The man finally understood, we got our coffee, and handed us several packets of sugar and cream. The brand of the cream packets was called "Tastes Like Fresh Milk." Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if something tastes like fresh milk, that means it isn't fresh milk.

Dan wanted to throw them away but I insisted on keeping them; they make me smile (I love bad marketing!)

The good news is, I made it to work with plenty of time to spare, plenty of bad coffee, and a huge smile on my face.

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

The appreciation of bad marketing seems to be a familial trait! Thank you for sharing this laugh...I love you and miss you!