Sunday, February 7, 2010

Icebreaker Questions

You know those questions designed to break the silence and get to know a person, such as "If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?"

I hate those questions. I wish I could come up with some cheeky answer, but I can never seem to think fast enough. (Example: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only take one book with you, which book would you take and why? Answer: A Practical Guide to Ship Building)

However, I am happy to say that I FINALLY know the answer to the superpower question (and it's not even cheeky!) -

If I could have any superpower, I would choose the ability to understand every culture, worldview and mindset, and while I might not agree with them, I would at least be able to fully understand where people are coming from and could therefore converse with them more meaningfully.

This was prompted by a coffee date I had with a friend who works at the Japanese Embassy, as well as recent headlines about our president, who has 5 wives, 1 fiancee, 2 girlfriends and 20 children.

There are some things my small Western brain cannot begin to grasp, let alone understand. And I wish I could. I really do.

No comments: