Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Pigeon Saga Continues...

The Pest Control guy has come back three more times. Apparently all the holes are plugged, but the pigeon was trapped in our roof. He had to go up into the attic, catch the bird, and then humanely release it into the wild (how nice of him... much nicer than I would have been). Ten minutes later - I kid you not - the pigeon flew back into the roof and promptly got stuck. Again. How dumb are pigeons??

And then it hit me - however dumb pigeons are, people can be that dumb as well. How many times to we get ourselves into a situation, can't see a way out, beg God for help, and when He helps us, we somehow manage to get ourselves back into the same situation ten minutes later? How often do we settle for the known and the comfortable- falling back into old patterns- when there is freedom and open spaces to be had elsewhere?

"Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you really are my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free... Everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you are free indeed." - John 8:31, 34-36

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but this I know - I want to live in freedom and walk in the light.

No comments: