Friday, February 12, 2010

No Olympic Coverage Down Here

I never watch TV. It's not that I'm against it; there are just so many other things I'd rather do with my free time. There are a few exceptions, however, one of them being the Olympics.

I was so excited to watch the Olympic opening ceremonies tonight, but unfortunately, they won't be broadcast here in South Africa. SABC bought the rights to broadcast the Olympics, but they're only showing one-hour highlights each evening. DSTV, the cable company, is also only showing daily, one-hour highlights (even if you buy the premium package).

I can't understand why they won't show the opening ceremonies or more coverage of the daily events. Is it because there are only two South Africans competing in the winter Olympics (alles van die beste!)? Is it because South Africans don't care? Are they more concerned with the Super 14 Rugby matches? I thought every country took pride in the Olympics.

I am bummed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Growing up I was always under the impression that the winter Olympics were a small affair. It's not like they're the "real" Olympics or anything. I was quite surprised to find Olympic fever running high for the snowy version here in northern climes.

Perhaps it's because South Africans don't know what curling is?

Anna said...

In that case, woe to the South Africans who emigrate to Canada! ;-)

Stormer said...

I am trying to help my sister in SA show her kids some of the highlights - In Canada we have 5 channels going almost 24 hours showing absolutely every minute of every event. I will tell her to check out SABC - suprised it's not on Supersport 16!