Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An African Shopping Day

Yesterday I went to two shops. At the first, I bought something for R30. I gave the cashier a R50 bill, and needed to get R20 in change, BUT... the woman only had coins. She started to hand me a massive pile of change, but I begged, I pleaded, can't you please open another till and get a bill? So she asked another employee, who asked another employee, who asked another employee, who made a public announcement on the store intercom, which summoned someone who came over, who called the manager, and fifteen minutes later, I got my R20 bill. I am wondering if it was worth all that fuss.... maybe I should have taken the jackpot of coins?

At the second shop, I needed four items, cream of tartar being one of them. There is usually a tower of cream of tartar jars at the grocery store, but today they were completely out (who runs out of cream of tartar?). So I went over to the meat counter to get some mince (ground beef), and guess what? No meat! Aaahhh!

I came home slightly defeated and grumpy, only to find that we had no running water in the house. Normally, this would be where I lose my head, but today, for some reason, I actually laughed. Seems like I am learning to see the funny side of things and not get too stressed out because the truth is - in the big picture - it's not a huge deal. It is what it is, that's all. This is Africa, my Africa, my home.

No comments: