Friday, July 18, 2008

The Power of Influence


Today is Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday. Whether you agree with his politics, his decisions, his history.. you have to admit that he is a great leader, a man of incredible influence.

Throughout history there have been many great leaders. Some used their skills for the good of their people, and some committed horrific acts. But they were all leaders.

Personally, I like Nelson Mandela, but I began to think, bringing things closer to home: who/what influences me? And who/what do I influence?

We are not all leaders. Some of us are content to fly under the radar, remain in the background, happily doing our work and minding our own business. But I do believe we are all influenced by various people/circumstances, and we in turn, influence others, be they friends, family, colleagues, or the cashier at the grocery store. By our words we have the power to make someone smile or crush them. By our actions we build up or we tear down.

Influence is a strange thing. It sneaks in and before I know it, I need that new flavour of potato chips because the advert on TV influenced me. I need a certain pair of jeans because all of my friends are raving about them. I need to do this or that because it's the trend, and I will feel left out if I don't. I become frustrated and let anger influence my actions.

Need... or want? I see I have a lot of thinking to do. Just yesterday I realised that I needed a change of heart because a godly friend admonished me, and I thankfully let that influence me.

We all yield to influence, the question is to whose?

1 comment:

Shawn Stutz said...

I've been so busy... out of the blog world. I've been saving your blogs and just caught up.

I love this idea of leadership as influence. Ever person has influence and leads someone... Nelson led many more than others (with such grace I might add).

I love my influence at sometimes, but at other times it feels like a great weight. I've had many 'friend' conversations and encouragements about influence (lol!).

Hope you all are doing well. Love Dan's pics on your blog too!