Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July, From Half a World Away

Today is the 4th of July, American Independence Day. One of the strange things about living in another country is that no one else celebrates the holidays you grew up with. We have traded in Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and the 4th of July for Reconciliation Day, Youth Day, and a host of other new holidays, all of which have a historical significance that I am still learning. But back to the 4th of July...

When you love someone, you focus on their strengths and not their weaknesses. I think the same is true of a nation. I love South Africa. Most people complain about it, pointing out its many flaws. But I see the strengths, the potential. I love the United States as well. When you live outside of the U.S., you get to hear what the rest of the world thinks of your country, and it's not all good. I understand that America has its flaws as well. But again, I see the strengths. Why? The greatest resource any nation has is its people. And people are people no matter where you live. They have strengths, they have weaknesses. If I could learn to see them through God's eyes, I would probably get less frustrated at times! And so...

I close with a line from one of my favourite patriotic songs, America the Beautiful, though I think I could just as easily insert my name in place of my country's name, and it would be fitting:

America, America, God mend thine every flaw
Confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law

No comments: