Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hey, Wait a Minute!

This is our son Ben (on the left) with his friend and classmate, Abel. We ran into Abel at the Botanical Gardens this past Sunday. They look like they could be brothers, don't they?

As I mentioned, it's school holidays right now. I was looking forward to having three weeks of a less-hectic schedule and not having to get up so early each morning. Instead, nearly every day is filled with visitors, get-togethers with friends or neighbours, and things to do. I was slightly bemoaning the busy schedule this morning when it dawned on me: we have friends!

We have been pining away for some friends ever since we moved to South Africa. The fact that we can run into someone we know in a city of 1.5 million, that neighbours can phone and ask if their kids can hang out at our house for a few hours, that we can make a plan to go out to coffee or just get together, all bear witness to the fact that we have finally made friends. But when did this happen?

It seems like only yesterday we were spending Christmas day alone, that I was writing pathetic, lonely songs on the piano, wishing for friends, longing for someone to know my name, and now all of a sudden I'm longing for a day when someone doesn't come over!

I have a smile on my face today and realise that I have absolutely no room to complain! I have friends, and that is no small thing.

1 comment:

christoslife said...

Yikes TWO OF THEM!!!!!????