Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Unto Us a Child is Born

Last night I tried out for my church's Christmas choir. Our church is large, and after ten months I only know one other family (from our weekly Bible study). I decided that I wanted to meet a few more people, serve the church, and since I can sing, I figured the Christmas choir would be a good fit.

There were about thirty people there, and what an amazing group of people: our director is from Holland, the woman who sat behind me is from Kenya, there is a woman from Germany, a crazy American (I wonder who that could be?!), and every South African culture was represented as well - Afrikaner, Zulu, English, Indian, Portuguese, Xhosa, Coloured, etc.

We started learning the first song, and when we got to the phrase, "For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given," I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I got a little teary-eyed!

Christ was born for all of us. What an unlikely group of people we are, but our hope in Jesus is what binds us together. We have so many differences, come from such diverse backgrounds and have been shaped by incredibly different experiences, but there we stood, side by side, to focus on what we have in common and what drives our very existence. Just imagine our different accents singing five-part harmony and you'll have a small glimpse of what I felt last night.

"... I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in from of the Lamb... They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshiped God." -Revelation 7:9, 11

No comments: