Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another Olympic Story

I love the Olympics. I don't know what it is... maybe it's the idea of people coming together from every nation, putting aside their differences, and celebrating their victories together. My favourite part is the Opening Ceremonies. I always like to see who the flag bearer is. This year, the flag bearer for the United States was Lopez Lomong, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan, who recently gained U.S. citizenship and is competing in the 1,500 metre race.

The Lost Boys are more than 27,000 boys who were orphaned or displaced during the Second Sudanese Civil War. Government troops attacked villages in southern Sudan, killing most of the civilian inhabitants. Many of the young boys survived because they were away tending herds. The girls were raped and taken as slaves, so very few of them made it to refugee camps. The boys fled into the jungles and made journeys that sometimes lasted years, crossing several international borders to make it to refugee camps. Lopez himself was abducted by rebels, escaped, and spent ten years in a refugee camp before making his way to the United States.

One thing I love about America is that someone who comes from the worst situation can grow up to become... well... just about anything he wants. If the determination is there, the way and means will be found to reach the goal.

Lopez Lomong had to learn how to be an African American. I have to learn how to be an American African. But there is where the similarity ends. I can only imagine what experiences he has lived through. I am so proud that he got to carry the U.S. flag. He embodies the ideals of America more than anyone I know.

No comments: