Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thoughts on Bread


Bethlehem was called the House of Bread. It actually means "House of Bread" in Hebrew, if I'm not mistaken.

Zimbabwe used to be called the Bread Basket of Africa, exporting wheat, maize and tobacco to the rest of the continent and beyond. It is now only a ruin of its former glory.

South Africa has amazing bread. Just about any time of day you can walk into a shop and buy fresh bread, still warm from the oven.

Last week we were meeting with a pastor from Zimbabwe who asked - nearly begged - for us to go back into Zimbabwe and train pastors. His heart weeps for his people and his nation. I can only imagine what the past decade has been like for him.

As this man was speaking, a verse from Scripture suddenly popped into my head: "I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to Me will never go hungry, and he who believes in Me will never be thirsty." - John 6:35

I don't know why, but it gave me goosebumps. I see this metaphor of Jesus being the Bread of Life in a whole new light now. It's time to take some bread - Bread of Life - to a world that is hungry for meaning and hope.

1 comment:

Shawn Stutz said...

I love this post. I just taught through John 6 and I totally resonate with these thoughts.