Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Random Thoughts

I've been in South Africa for eleven months, now, so here are some random observations to commemorate the occasion:
  • I have managed to learn the games of rugby and hockey, but I don't think I shall ever understand why a cricket game needs to take five days.
  • I still haven't learned that when you drink a cup of coffee in the car while you're driving over roads with potholes, you spill. Every time.
  • To all the people who wee along the side of the road - I can understand being desperate, but why can't you go BEHIND the tree instead of in front of it? I have had to answer some interesting questions posed by my children on the way to school.
  • I think I am the only person in Pretoria who doesn't speak Afrikaans. Sometimes this is frustrating... especially when you go to the doctor and have to fill out new patient forms (maar ek probeer baie hard om Afrikaans te leer!).
  • I love it that when I order a plain cup of coffee, I am always asked if I want hot or cold milk with that, and then given the choice between white and brown sugar as well. That would never happen in the States (although, I confess, I still occasionally miss Starbucks!)
  • When South Africa won it's first Olympic medal of these games, I cheered as loudly as any South African. In fact, I found that I cheer equally for both the U.S. and South Africa.
Sometimes it is very, very hard having one foot in two worlds, but I still wouldn't trade it for anything. Maybe I just have to deal with having two "homes". I have grown to love this country, these people. They are wonderful. And that is worth giving up Starbucks for!

3 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! It is so cool to read how you feel after being there for nearly a year. Very helpful! God bless!!

Unknown said...

I've been in Colorado for sixteen months now, and I understand the whole "having a foot in two worlds" thing perfectly. It took quite some time to adjust to the American version of English, which movies and TV never quite seemed to prepare me for! I am really enjoying browsing through all your posts (they make me pine for Pretoria, idiosyncrasies and all!). I'll be sure to return.

PS: jou Afrikaans is uitstekend!

Anna said...

Baie dankie!

I hope you enjoy your stay in Colorado; it is a beautiful state (and you are absolutely right - American English is so different from South African English!)