Sunday, August 31, 2008

My African Gogo

This is my gogo out in Soshanguve (well, not really, but I've sort of adopted her). She works at one of our orphan day centres, washing the dishes after 112 orphans have eaten... no small task!

Every time I go out there, she gives me the biggest hug and says (emphasizing each word) "I... LOVE... YOU!" She makes me feel so special.

I wonder if she knows how special she is? I always tell her that I love her, too, and that she is beautiful, but I wonder if she believes it. Life must be hard for her. It is sometimes embarrassing to be the white American who comes over, unloads some food, visits for a bit, and then goes back to my comfortable home.

3 comments:

ROSIE said...

Sis,

Gogo means auntie, doesn't it?

Love
Rosie

Anna said...

Gogo means Grandma in Zulu. I maybe should have specified that!

jane said...

To many people you are just like that Gogo. You hand out love and smiles and make so many peoples day. Thank you for for that my friend. Don't stop. love Jane