Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dung Beetles of the World, Unite!

I think my favourite animal (okay, insect) in all of South Africa is not the lion, not the cheetah, not even the springbok, but rather the lowly dung beetle. Dung beetles are cool. They follow animals, wait until they poo, roll the fresh poo into balls three times their size, lay their eggs in it, roll it back to their nest, and when the babies hatch, they feed off the dung. Oh, and did I mention that they do a favour to the rest of us by removing dung and taking it underground, which not only benefits us but the soil and plants as well?

If I had to roll something three times my size back to my house, I'd complain. If I had to follow people around and wait until they pooed, I'd complain. But dung beetles do exactly what dung beetles were created to do. How many of us can say that?

That the next time life drops a poo ball on us, let's turn it into something useful. Let's amaze the world with our ingenuity, problem-solving skills and our great attitude towards challenges and unglamourous circumstances.

And now, introducing Miss Dung Beetle 2008.....

1 comment:

ROSIE said...

Thank you, sis, for inspiring me to take the poo ball life has dropped today and turn it into something useful! :)