Sunday, September 21, 2008

Uncertain Times

If you stay current with world news, you'll know that South Africa is now a country without a president. In the latest chapter of the Mbeki-Zuma rivalry, the ANC fired President Mbeki rather than let him serve out the remainder of his term. There is an emergency Cabinet meeting this afternoon. An interim president will be appointed until elections in the early half of next year, when Jacob Zuma is groomed to take over. Whatever your political views are, we are all wondering, "What will happen now?"

For an American like me who's grown up in a safe and stable environment, this is a new adventure. I'm not sure what to think. There are times when I feel like I'm standing on shaky ground, and there are times when I think, "Nah. I'm overreacting." But some things I know for certain:

God has called us here to South Africa. For me, speculating about the future leads to anxiety and fear, causing me to miss opportunities to make a difference TODAY.

I'm just a sheep. All I have to do is follow the Shepherd, wherever He leads me. It's far better to let Him make decisions concerning my life than try to control things myself (look what happened to Jonah... would you rather go to Ninevah or be swallowed by a fish?).

Our pastor said this morning that shaky times are a part of life. Shaking will come. But the faithfulness of God is unshakeable.

"This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." - Lamentations 3:21-23

1 comment:

Shawn Stutz said...

Wow... how wild. Those must be uncertain times. We'll be praying.