Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Trip to Prison

Today we had the opportunity to go to Baviaanspoort Prison and be family for some inmates who haven't seen their families in years (some of them haven't had a visitor in over ten years!). We were touched by this opportunity because we, too, haven't seen our family in while. We know what it's like to spend Christmas, Easter, and birthdays away from family and friends.

At the prison we were introduced to Thabo and Thabo and were privileged to be their family for half a day. Thabo likes to sing and is training as a tailor. If he comes across a word he doesn't know- whether in a song or book- he immediately goes to a dictionary to look it up. He is thirsty for understanding. The other Thabo likes to draw and read. He, too, has a thirst for knowledge, and keeps his Bible and sketchbook in a battered suitcase that he carries with him. We had a great time getting to know them and sharing pap, vleis and cooldrink with them.

At the end of the day as we were preparing to leave, my son Benjamin asked me, "When are we going to meet the prisoners?", not realising that we had just spent four hours with them, fellowshipping, sharing a meal, praying with them, encouraging one another. And my son's question caused me to realise something:

In the world's eyes, we are often defined by what we do and where we come from. Thabo and Thabo are defined by being from Soweto and having committed a crime that landed them in a medium security prison. I am defined by being an American living in Pretoria, and I have my own list of sins and accomplishments. But in God's eyes, I am not defined by the sins I've committed or what I've done. Neither are Thabo and Thabo. Nor are we defined by where we come from. We are defined by our position and identity in Christ. I can picture God looking down and saying, "These are My children. I love them. Aren't they beautiful?"

Today we met two brothers in Christ that we will spend eternity with. I am so blessed to have met them this side of heaven.

2 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

This was a great story! How difficult is it to arrange to do prison ministry there in SA?

Anna said...

No, especially if you go through a local church. Let me know when you two arrive next year!