Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Remedial Sepedi

The other day we delivered food parcels to four primary schools out in Soshanguve for the identified orphans there. While we were unloading food parcels, I met the remedial (resource) teacher at one school. She sees 69 students each week. We had a nice conversation, and then she changed her demeanor and said rather sternly, "You don't know a word of Sepedi. Sit down. Now! You're officially in my class!" What else could I do but sit down and... learn Sepedi? She proceeded to teach me several words. After a few minutes, the headmistress of the school walked in, and Mrs. Tabane said, "Now stand up and recite what you've learned for ma'am." I could see I had no choice, so I recited me newly-learned Sepedi for ma'am, and then they both laughed hysterically and gave me big hugs afterwards.

I now have an experience of township school life... in the remedial class, no less!!

No comments: