Friday, September 12, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

One year ago today, our family landed at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg with eight suitcases and five serious cases of jetlag.

I thought our one year anniversary would be a big event, a significant milestone. It is, I suppose, but I feel more pensive than anything else. Maybe it's the weather. In any case, to commemorate the event, I thought I'd write down what I've learned this past year:
  • I have learned, above all else, that I have a lot to learn!
  • I have learned that you can live without a lot of "stuff" - more than you think!
  • I have realised that even if you had the best government in the world, it could not solve all of man's problems - only Jesus can do that.
  • Love can make up for a lot - maybe even everything. Without love, you have nothing. With love, it doesn't matter what you don't have - you are pretty rich.
  • I am learning to be less task-oriented and more people-oriented. People are ultimately more important than tasks.
  • Being in a hurry in a long queue only makes things worse. It's much easier to just relax and enjoy "being" for a while instead of "doing." Whatever needs to get done will get done... eventually.
  • Sometimes the best food is the cheapest - fresh bread, fruit, perfectly cooked maize meal and gravy. Who needs five-star restaurants?
  • The beauty of the land, the sounds of the birds, and the incredible sunsets are worth more than money can buy. Movies, TV and music don't hold a candle to the greatest show on earth.
  • It takes time to make friends. In the meantime, you can learn a lot about yourself in times of loneliness.
  • Jesus is... EVERYTHING. He gives meaning to all of life - the joys, the challenges, the adventures, the heartache. Without Him, it's all pointless, and with Him, it's a process of learning, growing, discovering, and incredible purpose.
So... happy anniversary! I think I'll go stand in a long queue to celebrate and just bask in God's grace for a while.

1 comment:

jane said...

Happy Anniversary. South Africa is glad to welcome you and anyone like you who is prepared to embrace our beautiful country with all its diversity. Its amazing how many wonderful people you get to meet in long seemingly pointless queues.ENJOY!!!