Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Zambezi Road

The street signs in Pretoria are an amazing thing. Take Zambezi Road, for instance. Sometimes it's printed "Zambesi Road", sometimes "Zambezi Road", sometimes "Zambesirylaan" (the Afrikaans translation). Every block it's different, switching from English to Afrikaanas, and sometimes just plain misspelled.

Lavender Road is sometimes "Levander Road". "Enkeldoorn" is sometimes "Enkeldoring". The misspellings are humorous, the switching from Afrikaans to English keeps us on our toes ("3rd Street" becomes "3 de laan"), but here's where it gets really confusing: 23 streets are up for renaming in Pretoria, including my beloved Zambezi Road, "in an effort to celebrate our rich cultural diversity." I can understand wanting to rename Hendrik Verwoerd Street, but what's wrong with Zambezi?

Just when I thought I had all the variations memorised, it's going to change. I shall feel like a tourist all over again, but at least this time, everyone else will be in the same boat!

3 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

hahaha. I read that Durban recently went through something similar. I guess my family and I will just have to wait to buy maps until we get to SA. Really have enjoyed reading your most recent posts about the happenings over there. God bless!

Anna said...

Yes, Durban went through the same experience. You are well-read and up on your South African news.. I'm impressed!

Do you have travel plans yet?

By the way, the public holidays have multiple names as well, depending on your culture. Today is either Heritage Day or National Braai Day... take your pick!

Sam and Shelley said...

Shelley and I are planning to visit Jan or Feb. God bless!