Saturday, March 28, 2009

I love Cadbury Cream Eggs, only you can't get them in South Africa. It's one of the few foods I miss, and I'm not even a "chocolate" person.

Today was the weekend after payday for most South Africans, and the shops were crowded with people. I usually avoid the stores when it's payday, but there were a few items I desperately needed, so I took two of my kids and went to Checkers, one of the main grocery stores here in South Africa.

While walking down an aisle, I stopped, stunned, at a display of (dum da da DA!!!)... CADBURY CREAM EGGS!!!! I was in shock, I was delighted, I bought two boxes. Well, I thought I did, at any rate, except that my lot in life seems to be exposure to bad grocery store experiences, and today proved no exception.

The lady at the till didn't give me my Cadbury Cream Eggs. She charged me for floor polish, which, as it turns out, the guy BEHIND me was purchasing, and charged my Cadbury Cream Eggs - my precious eggs - to the lady in FRONT of me. I was almost to the car before I realised that I didn't have my Cadbury Cream Eggs, and then...

THEN I had to brave my way through the masses once again, through trolleys blocking the aisle, through indecisive customers deciding on which flavour of boerewors to buy, past the performer who plays Bette Midler hits on the pan flute, to the till where my precious Cadbury Cream Eggs lay, unclaimed.

I left with a headache, paid the parking lot attendant grumpily, and was more than glad to be home when it hit me: I went out of my way, REALLY out of my way, for chocolate. Am I willing to put forth the same effort to go out of my way for people, for Jesus? If not, then something is seriously wrong.

No comments: