Monday, May 11, 2009

An Educational Sugar High

Today I would like to talk about Lick and Learn Traffic Lollies (see - you think I make this stuff up but I have the photo to prove it!).

Apparently, as your kids lick the lollies, they will study the wrappers, which have printed on them various traffic signs... so they can learn AND get cavities at the same time! Seriously, it's very important to know the traffic warning sign for falling rocks. One could easily mistake them for falling snowballs, or falling cotton wool, because as far as I know, falling rocks are not white. But then, this is South Africa -a geological jackpot - so the falling rocks very well could be white. Which brings us back to the effectiveness of Lick and Learn Traffic Lollies.

Generally, kids fling lollipop wrappers on the ground - usually in my front yard - and whether they learn anything from the traffic lollies or not I don't know. But I at least learned something new tonight - the triangle signs are "traffic warning signs" and the circular signs are "traffic instruction signs."

This of course brings up an interesting philosophical problem of whether a warning is a type of instruction, or an instruction a type of warning. Are the two really distinct? But that, I'm afraid, is another blog, and one I am not willing to write.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, not easy to get the words, "Lick," and "Traffic," in the same title.

Anna said...

Yes, and two other words that have always bothered me when put together are "aerosol" and "cheese"!

Unknown said...

As I seem to recall, the traffic instruction signs mean, 'do this here', whereas the traffic warning signs mean, 'look out for this here'. The one reminds you of a traffic regulation, the other is like a safety hint.

Perhaps that other sign warns of falling popcorn?