Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Few Important Rules

South Africans are very excited about hosting the soccer (aka football) World Cup next year. They're also extremely excited about hosting the Confederations Cup next month. As Pretoria is one of the host cities for both, we get to be in the middle of all the excitement, decorations, billboards, etc. To that end, I thought I'd share some information from the "Fan Guide" that is given out at any ticketing centre. Here are a few of the rules to be followed at any South African stadium:

(just one problem.... what's a vuvuzela?)

(This includes all shields, spears, and clubs)

(I know it's tempting, but...)

If you've never been to South Africa, and you're a soccer/football fan, now would be a good time to visit. You might be in for a good football match, but the real treat is the people and land of South Africa. They are not the wealthiest people on earth, nor is South Africa the most sophisticated country, but you will never find a more hospitable, resilient people, and when you leave, your smile will be a little bit bigger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, those diagrams are hysterical. I especially liked all the 'traditional weaponry'. A vuvuzela is one of those plastic trumpet-things. They make an awful lot of noise.

Anna said...

Hey, thanks! I've seen those plastic horn things before, but I've always just called them... plastic horn things (now I can impress everyone with my new vocabulary word?)