Monday, January 11, 2010

The Jet Lag Buzz

Today was my first day back in South Africa. I managed to unpack all the suitcases, do three loads of laundry, drive on the left side of the road, buy groceries, and survive the jet-lag 'buzz' that has plagued me all day.

Last night when our plane landed, I took one look at the magnificent South African sky and breathed deeply. I'm so happy to be home. But... I truly think it takes the brain longer to travel than the body. My body is back in South Africa but my brain is lost somewhere over the Atlantic, trying to reconcile a North American winter, a Southern Hemisphere summer, and the radical differences between daily life in two countries.

What struck me most is that, unattended, my house was quickly taken over by dust, ants, spiders, weeds and various other unwanted 'guests' (you parasitical moochers!). It takes work and constant maintenance to maintain a home.

I wonder if it's like that for our souls as well. If we just let them go - unattended - what would happen? Would they be swept away by the 'weeds' of life and taken over by 'parasitical moochers'? If we 'maintained' our souls, so to speak, exercised discipline and hard work to keep them in order, would we be more 'manicured'? And what exactly does that look like?

I do know this: a life lived well is a life lived intentionally and deliberately. It doesn't happen by accident or without hard work and deep thought.

No comments: