Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tuesday Quote

"Resentment and gratitude cannot coexist, since resentment blocks the perception and experience of life as a gift. My resentment tells me that I don't receive what I deserve. Gratitude, however, goes beyond the 'mine' and 'thine' and claims the truth that all of life is a pure gift. In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realise that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline... I can choose to dwell in the darkness in which I stand, point to those who are seemingly better off than I, lament about the many misfortunes that have plagued me in the past, and thereby wrap myself up in my resentment. There is also the option to look into the eyes of the One who came out to search for me and see therein that all I am and all I have is pure gift calling for gratitude." - Henri Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 comment:

hotel charlie one said...

Much-needed reminder. I read that Nouwen book long ago. Thanks for bringing it to my mind. Mum