Friday, January 29, 2010

Padtekens vs. Road signs

They're changing the road signs around Pretoria, putting up English signs in place of Afrikaans signs. I don't know if this is because of the upcoming World Cup or if it's one of those "Tshwane vs. Pretoria" things (and that battle is still going on).

In any case, there was a sign we passed every day - "Tuinafvalterrein" which indicated a place to dump garden refuse - grass clippings, pruned branches, etc. Today we noticed the sign had been replaced by an English sign. I think it was supposed to say "Garden Refuse" but instead it says:

We have a lovely Botanical Garden on the other side of the hill.... I hope no one gets confused!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whawhawha!! Typical...you will see more of this...

Unknown said...

Hysterical - I'm sharing this with everyone I know!