Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Right Side, Left Side... Where Am I?

Today as I got into my car to drive home I got in the wrong side. I guess my brain is programmed to drive on the left now, and I get into the car accordingly. I also waited at the petrol station for someone to come pump my petrol, only to realise a few minutes later that I'm in California where you do it yourself.

People say I have an accent now, but I don't think so. In South Africa they also tell me I have an accent. Here, there, everywhere I go I am a little bit of both places.

When our plane landed in California, I had a list of all the people and places I wanted to see. Now the novelty of American food has worn off, the convenience of things is overrated, and I'm a little overwhelmed at the number of people we've tried to see in 3 1/2 weeks.

I wish I could easily move between the two places, but that's not possible, so I will soak up as much California as I can until my next visit, and when I get back to Johannesburg next week I will take a deep breath of South African air and count my many blessings. With an accent.

No comments: