Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thoughts on Moth Wings

Like spider legs, moth wings are also quite varied and amazing. There is a moth on my kitchen wall - a very small moth - and yet its wing pattern is so intricate that I can't stop staring at it. I actually left it on my wall as a temporary "art display." I have been so fascinated by this moth that I'm distracted from my cooking (and I love to cook).

Why is it that, growing up in church, I heard about God as Father, God as Judge, God as Loving, Omnipotent, Sovereign, etc.... but never God as Artist? And why do we try so hard to label Him, to put Him in a box?

Someone once said that if we understood God completely, then we would be as smart as God, or rather, God would only be a smart as us. I don't know about you, but I would prefer God to be infinitely wiser and more clever than myself, which means there will be things about Him I can never hope to understand.... like moth wings and spider legs.

I find that when I give up trying to understand God and just marvel at His creativity, I am more passionate about wanting to know Him. When I accept that certain aspects of His character will forever be a mystery, I find Him more intriguing. And then God's love, which at times has been reduced to a science, becomes beautiful and amazing... I could stare at it for hours because it's so distracting. Like spider legs and moth wings.

1 comment:

wakeupcowboys said...

This artist God--overwhelms me with wonder...and love for Him.