Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thoughts on Recent Events

I wasn't going to write about this, even though it's been on my mind a lot lately - the killing of Eugene Terreblanche and Julius Malema's new "theme song." Then I was going to write about it, and I had a lot to say - I had quotes from several different news articles, I had opinions, I had passionate responses. And then...

Then I realised a few things:
  • One more riled-up opinion from someone who's not even technically South African won't change the country for the better. It just adds to the tension and cacophony of voices.
  • I cannot see myself as better than either of those two men, because God doesn't see me as better. And if God sees us all on an equal level - if Jesus died for all of us - then I cannot, dare not, elevate myself above another, whether I agree with them or not.
  • I have been talking all week about the need to love people and not judge them. Here's an excellent chance to put that into practice.
I wish there was a loophole out of this. I want to get on my soapbox and tell the world how I would do things better than either Eugene Terreblanche or Julius Malema. But, truth be told, I can't. I have my own weaknesses and failings. And if Eugene Terreblanche and Julius Malema are made in the image of God, if they were knit together in their mother's womb by Holy hands, then I would do better to pray for them rather than complain.

Christians have failed so much throughout history in the area of love. We are so quick to criticise, judge, complain and lash out. But to just... love. Even if we dont't agree (especially if we don't agree). To see a person as God intends them to be. To wish them blessing instead of harm. That is so hard, so counter-intuitive. Yet I truly believe it is that very kind of love that can change the world, because it is God's unconditional love.